Tuesday, 17 February 2015

5 things I always tell new mothers

When I became a mother, not many of my friends had children, so I didn't have many people (my age) to answer my questions. My mum and mother in law were obviously very helpful, but it had been along time since they cared for a newborn, and things had changed over the past 2 decades. I don't know everything but when I see a friend of mine who is new to motherhood, I try and pass on just some simple, encouraging words, because we all know that feeling of being confused and wondering if what you are doing is right or enough.







I try and tell new mothers;

1. Trust your instincts and listen to your gut. I know you've never done this before and this is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life but you got this! Center yourself among the chaos and sleep deprived, zombie like days and listen to that voice in your head.


2. You are doing a great job. As much as baby is crying and as messy and your hair and your house is, I can see how hard you are trying and you are doing great.


3. It's time to go to the doctor when:

  • there are less than 3 wet nappies a day
  • mucus/blood in poo
  • a fever over 38 degrees
  • trouble breathing or rapid breathing
  • pus, smelly or swelling around the umbilical 
  • sleepy babies who do not wake up for a feed within four hours of the last feed
  • unable to keep fluids down
  • diarrhea
  • weak suckling or fewer than 6 feeds in 24 hours
    (ultimately listen to your gut and if you feel you should go to the doctor/emergency then do so)



4. It gets easier. You'll get the hang of this. You'll change nappies faster and they won't leak everywhere. You'll learn to breastfeed anywhere, anytime without a second thought and it won't hurt. You'll be a pro before you know it.


5. Ask for help and ask questions. There is no such thing as a weird or dumb question. It takes a village to raise a child both physically and mentally. You don't know everything and how else will you learn if you don't ask questions. Develop a support system, friends, family, mothers groups, the nurses at the local early childhood center.

A book which helped me TREMENDOUSLY and answered all my questions is

Baby Love by Robin Barker

I recommend this to all parents, new and old!


MaternityMondays

Step 45,

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope it helps any new mums in some way :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Aby, Have a great weekend, It's Friday afternoon over here so I'm sure there weekend is almost here for you too:)

      Delete
  3. Lovely list with great advice for new mummies, babies are hard work and it is lovely to support each other through the difficult days, as it does get easier! Thanks for linking with #MaternityMondays xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, thank goodness it does get a LITTLE easier. I think the challenges just change really haha. Will probably be linking again before you know it :)

      Delete
  4. Aww...hun great advice!

    I know I'm not a new mother but I loved reading this because it reminds me of how much I have learnt purely by experience.

    Sal xxx | UmmBaby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sister sal! a reminder to you and me both! hope you and the girls are well xxx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...