Sunday, 22 February 2015

50 posts of blogging

Yes that was a lame attempt at a play on words to that "50 Shades of Grey (Gray?)" phenomenon that never interested me. 50 posts in and it's safe to say I'm not the same person I was when I started blogging. Yes, I like to be dramatic, but I really feel different. It could be from blogging, it could be from things thathave happened, either way blogging has definite served as a vessel for me and I can't wait to see where it will take me.


What have I learnt about blogging (and maybe myself) after 50 posts?

Blogging first!

  • It takes more effort than you think, meaning it's harder than you think. I thought it was just typing words and clicking publish but, for me personally, it is far from it. It is thinking of WHAT to write first, editing, adding images, getting your posts out there, connecting with other bloggers. 
  • BUT I LOVE IT! I love blogging. It allows me to write about what I love and read about what I love and I always walk away from blogging feeling refreshed and energised and sometimes a little bit smarter. There are so many blogs out there with so much knowledge, wisdom, information and even entertainment and comedy to share. 
  • It's rewarding. The time and effort pays off. I started my blog for myself, just to have a little something or somewhere all for me. Hitting publish was enough for me. I was a bit apprehensive about getting my blog out there (most of my friends STILL don't know about my blog, my hubby JUST started reading mine, 3 posts ago!) but every time I get a comment or  retweet or reply or any type of interaction, as a result of my blog, I feel great. 
  • It's quite helpful to set goals, big or small. A big goal of mine right now is to go self hosted and get a nice new blog design. A small, or maybe big goal, is to understand SEO. Seriously what is SEO?? I just don't get it! Having plans for your blog or even your day just help things roll along.
  • Step away sometimes. It's good for you and your blog. I've noticed for practicality and for the sanity of my family and for the sake of the house work not piling up too badly, I blog in chunks a few hours at a time. Of course my mind can't stop ticking and I feel like I will come up with something blog related at the weirdest time. Who knew the shower was so full of inspiration?
  • Editing is key but something I am working on. It took me awhile to figure out when a post was done, I would fiddle and tweak and insert and cut a post for so long, waiting for the urge to push publish. But that button doesn't mean the end of a post. I frequently go back and add in or edit out older posts.
  • You don't blog alone. Well being an active member of the blogosphere obviously means you get to interact with and connect to people from all over the world. On a more local note, I've reached out to some of my friends who have a rather creative flair for advice on many aspects such as blog design, interesting content and social media sharing etiquette.  

Now me!


Not surprisingly blogging is quite introspective and allows you to gather your thoughts, answer those questions you'd rather avoid and say things you might not necessary say in real, offline life.


  • I like expressing myself. I like to think I'm a creative person and I've always liked to express my creativity, through drawings, stories, photography, dance, all from a very young age. If anything, blogging has woken up that little girl who was always unsure about herself, to a space where it's perfectly fine to be you, and just you, all you.
  • My voice has some value and worth. Hopefully that didn't come off more dramatic than I intended it too, but like I previously said, I was always unsure of myself. I think with age and becoming a parent and some other things I've achieved, you become more reassured in yourself and your capabilities and what you have to bring to the table.
  • I have far more in common with others than I thought I did. Again, with the whole unsure of myself and whether I "fit in" with others, I am now constantly finding bloggers and tweeters that make me say "ME TOO!".
  • Blogging has let me spend time with and learn more about my other interests. I love to read, which blogging requires a lot of. I also have been DYING to learn how to use a DSLR and blogging has just given me an excuse to, I guess. I have a sweet brother and a best friend who are both so passionate and very good at photography so I've been annoying them and asking a million questions, until my brother thrust his camera into my hands and said "Here! Just take it! You'll figure it out!!" :D  
I still have a LONG WAY TO GO, but as my header says, every journey starts with a single step. 50 steps later I am feeling, excited, renewed and positive, which is very different to how I felt, 50 steps ago. Thank you to those who have stopped by, left such wonderful, inspiring comments or connected with me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Instagram. Aaaaaaand.... step.

Step 50, Sarah.
The Dad Network

Mami 2 Five

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Leah. BTW, love your blog!! I had 2 kids by the time I was 21 so I can relate so much! Thanks for stopping by, have a great week :)

      Delete
  2. That could be me. I'm only 12 posts in, but so much rings true. Be interesting to see where you are at 100 posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how quickly you can become involved in blogging and how much you learn from it from the get go. 100 posts! sounds so far yet so close! btw congrats on the baby girl!! I have 3 girls myself so it seems I'm in the other boat :) don't worry she will have you wrapped around her finger soon enough, if not already :)

      Delete
    2. According to her mother she does already. Its amazing how quick you learn, especially by reading other bloggers posts. Keep it up I'll be following and borrowing ideas. Lol

      Delete
  3. That is all so true.....I am about post 900 and something and it is amazing how fantastic and rewarding blogging is....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woaw 900 posts! that is amazing!! Promptly following you everywhere I can because you clearly know what you are doing :) thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I'm nearly at post 50 and its harder than I thought it would be.

    My next goal is bloglovin! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is isn't it! I feel like I should be picking this up a little quicker but everyone has their own pace, and this is all meant to be for fun, so no pressure! :) Bloglovin is such a good way to keep up with all the blogs you like, get on there! good luck (to the both of us :D)

      Delete
  5. Being relatively new to the blogging world, I totally agree with many of these points. I too am trying to go self-hosted and also have NO IDEA what SEO means (or actually RSS to be honest) and I don't know how to write HTML code (I can copy and past it, but that's as far as I go!).
    Good luck with continuing the blogging journey.
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Sarah, I have nearly completed my first year and can't believe what I have learnt in that time, it is incredible and all so exciting, the friendships I have made are going to be lifelong friends and the opportunities are endless. It is the mist incredible community x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great insight on what blogging does for you personally! It is very rewarding and it seems like I learn something new everyday. When you figure out SEO feel free to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely a good plan to set challenges for your blog, it can be very overwhelming if you try and do it all at once. Glad you're loving it and thanks for linking up with #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really love this post, I started without realising fully what was involved but I absolutely love it too! #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this. I started without really any thought to where it would go and I LOVE it too.Thanks for linking up #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I started my blog around last May, but I have really been working on it since the new year, I haven't told anyone in real life about my blog other then my husband, I really want to tell them, but I'm nervous that I'm not good enough and I don't want RL friends to judge me. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...