Wednesday, 18 February 2015

A bag a week

If only this meant I got to buy a new handbag every week. But no, it doesn't. In my declutter efforts for 2015, I have commited to throwing away or getting rid of a bag of junk each week. 2 months, or 8 weeks into the year and I've been doing great.

Declutter rules are:
- size of bag doesn't matter. I just have an "out bag" which sits by the front door and anytime I find something I don't want or need it goes into the bag.
- bags do not roll over to the next week. One week we tackled the kids room and got rid of 4 large garbage bags. Those bags didn't roll over into the next weeks but that was a very productive week.
- household rubbish doesnt count. Obviously. We go through many bags of rubbish during the week but no those don't count.


I don't live in a big house but you'd be so surprised where you'd find junk. That day we got rid of 4 big bags from the kids room took us a few solid hours. 2 bags were clothes, books and toys to donate to charity and the other bags were for recycling and rubbish. My kids tend to hoard/collect/forget to throw away PAPER. Loose bits, big sheets, all colours, just paper, everywhere! I gave my children the same lecture my mum gave me as a child, about the Earth's resources and redusing waste and reusing and recycling. I will say their room hasn't gotten as clogged up with paper since that talk.

Clothes. I have too much clothes. But I love clothes. namely, grey tops. During a folding laundry session I decided to pull out my tops and see if I could cull some. Culling was easy, I know I like, I know what I wear, and I wear SO MUCH grey. I found so many variations of a grey top. There's v-neck, long sleeves, bat wing sleeve, short sleeves, no sleeve, studded, three quarter sleeves, cropped, longer in the back, light grey, dark grey, and graphic. I have to stop buying grey tops, pronto.

Shoes and bags are another easy catagory for me to cull, I just know what I like. The only hard thing with culling is thinking of how much money you collectively spent on all this stuff. Stuff that you just no longer want.

A great post by Apartment Therapy raises a simple question which could heavily curb your spending (if that's what you want to do). This website is great at making me want to throw everything away amd just have the bare necessities.

Each week I keep finding a new area that needs my attention. A quick peek into the little cupboard under the sink in the bathroom revealed so many opened and half used products, I was amost fuming. Okay okay, most of the half opened stuff was mine, but I think again, I look at all this and just see money sitting there smiling at me. However, I have found that I spend less time tidying up, which could be because we just have less stuff. It fees so good getting rid of junk, I just feel lighter.

Do you think you could get rid of one bag of junk a week?


Super Busy Mum

Step 48,

16 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I have so much junk to sort through and get rid of but I feel like I'm getting nowhere fast. A bag a week seems more manageable and would hopefully mean that I would keep at it. I am like you in that I love getting rid of junk; it definitely makes you feel lighter. Great post xx #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. give it a go! even a bag of month is progress and any progress is good progress. I find decluttering almost addictive, I just want to get rid of stuff! thank you for your kinds words. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. What a fab idea, I could do this easily, it tends to migrate to the garage though so would need to be ruthless and rid from there too!

    MamaMuse

    http://mummymuselovelyshoes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Luckily we don't have a garage so there is nowhere for it to migrate to except out of our home. I think ruthless is the only way to go about this really :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't been doing this project but have been consistently sorting since the new year and have got rid of so much stuff. I think we are a nation of hoarders!

    #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work Emma, how good does it feel! I think most people hoard on some level, and some are just very good at hiding it :)

      Delete
  4. I've been trying so hard to de-clutter, but it is hard! I was doing the bag a week thing before Christmas but it kind of fell by the wayside and I've not been so good this year so far. Thanks for the reminder! You are definitely right that it makes you feel lighter when you declutter. #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the good (or bad) thing about clutter is that it doesn't go anywhere if you don't touch it, so it's never too late to get back into declutter mode, sending you lightness and motivation :)

      Delete
  5. I dont have a big house as well and I know that I need to get rid of a LOT of things. I will try to have a talk with my son about nature too as he just use paper like crazy! #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my small home brings all our clutter to my attention so I can't ignore it and pretend it's not there. yes, nature, the big picture! Takes the heat off my shoulders when I tell them not to waste all the paper.:)

      Delete
  6. Hi Sarah, I love your idea of throwing a bag of clutter away a week. We live in a small house and you wouldn't believe what rubbish we have crammed into high cupboard. Getting in there and sorting them out is something I keep putting off, mainly because the task seems so overwhelming.

    Your approach is perfect, but maybe instead of a bag a week we could tackle a cupboard a week.My husband would have to help as they are just too high for me to get into properly.

    Great post!

    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uh, those high cupboards! a blessing and a curse at the same time!! Yes get the hubby involved! my hubby knows I'm in deep declutter mode when I start dragging the dining room chairs from room to room. I guess the advantage of a small house is less space to declutter.

      Delete
  7. I AM GOING TO GET THIS GOING IN MY HOUSE FROM RIGHT NOW! Ok...not right now because it's 11:42pm and everyone is asleep but come tomorrow it's starting. I love this!!!

    Sal xxx | UmmBaby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha GET ON IT! it's so therapeutic! but yes not in the middle of the night maybe haha

      Delete
  8. This is great! 3 weeks ago I put 2 boxes in our hallway...1 box goes to our church's thrift store and the other is yard sale items. When a box gets full it either goes out to the garage (yard sale items) or in the car (thrift store items). It has been working out great and it's less overwhelming than trying to do it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg all at once is not even an option! nice and slow and in between all the other chaos that's going on is the only way.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...