Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Do you play with your kids?

Sounds like a simple, straight forward question. However, I just don't like my answer because my answer is, not enough. I KNOW I don't join in with the kids on their games of teddy bear slumber party nearly enough. But if I think about wether my parents played with me when I was a child, I'd have to say, I can't remember a time when we actually played together. I mean, dad took us to the park and watched us ride our bikes some afternoons, and I'm not blaming my parents or trying to find excuses... Hang on. I think all I do is look for excuses. Excuses not to find the time to play with the kids.

The dishes. The dinner. The laundry. Mummy's tired. Excuses. Excuses. Excuses. As soon as the kids are entertained and content I rush off and try and get as much done as possible. Before I know it, they won't WANT me to play with them.

My kids are angels (possible bias right there) and they don't nag and beg me for things. But could this be because they just gave up asking?  Do they even want me to play with them? I try and ensure I bring as much of a positive vibe when interacting with my children. But I have been known to kill the joy involved in a game of Strawberry shortcake shops. This past school holidays we spent most days at home so there was plenty of opportunity to drop everything and play. I guess I need to reframe whats really important. My kids are really important and I worry that my actions do not always reflect that belief. I want them to grow up and look back and have some great memories, as simple as they may be.

Small steps. Today we'll go to the park after school.


The Dad Network

Step 30,

8 comments:

  1. I try as much as possible to play game with Boo, but I am also always thinking in the back of my mind of the things that I also need to be doing, which is a shame.
    I wish I had more time so that I could spend all of the time in the world just playing games with Boo, I need to win the lottery! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More time yes! We all need more time, or more hands, or a cleaner and a personal chef :D

      Delete
  2. Its difficult. We have so much to do.. so many adult excuses. I play games and do more than what I could potentially do. However there's loads that I wish I could do. If I had enough time to do it all I would. Makes question though.. .if i did have more time what would I do ? Good post thanks for linking up with the #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, such a good question! i wonder too what i would actually do with more time. Thanks for hosting I've discovered some great blogs from this link up.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I feel as though I stifle his creativity or frustrate him when I can't understand what hes trying to do. Or I just don't want the 100th cup of tea hes made for me.

    But again they are probably adult excuses again. Sometimes I need to just put the technology down and be a 2 year old with him again! Very thought provoking.

    Laura : Life with Baby Kicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow such a relief that I'm not the only one who felt like that. It gets both easier and harder to play with them the older they get. Ahhh parenting hehe

      Delete
  4. A thought provoking post.I honestly believe that as parents we will always feel these things, but I also believe that no matter how much time we spend with our children , it will never be enough and we will always be too hard on ourselves. Thanks for sharing this and for linking up. Ill be sure to play with Teddy tonight and treasure it :) #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you know what, you're right, there will never be enough time. Hope you and Teddy had a blast! We had a Twister tournament the other day and I thought about this post the whole time. Thank you for hosting. i'll be back! (In a terminater like voice)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...