Friday, 27 February 2015

The Prompt - Reality



So the chips are currently down and we are currently snow balling. But hey that's life.


So we just spent $4000 fixing my husband’s work van, he then gets into an accident with the ute (utility vehicle for the non-Australians) he is currently borrowing while the van is getting repaired, so there are the expenses for that and the other car involved. We haven't paid for the school fees for the year yet. A few weeks ago, before all of this happened, we booked tickets for a family holiday back home to Indonesia so the plan is the have some savings to spend whilst over there. Our car registrations are due soon. Ahhhhh being a grown up. Love it.






My children are in year 3 & 4 and judging by the homework, things start to get a little serious from now. It takes them a little longer to complete their work. They're asking me more complex questions. We've had tears because "it's just too hard mummy. I don't want to do it anymore." And this is where I come to a fork in the road. Do I push it and tell them they have to finish their homework, or do I drop it and tell them, it's okay you don't have to finish it. I don't like to see my children distressed, but I don't want them to just give up every time something is too hard.


(I'm going to quote my dad right now) In life, sometimes, you have to do things you don't want to do, but you still have to do them. That's just the way it is. Sometimes you are called to do things you don't even know how to do them. But that's where the lessons lie. Tough times and challenges are a part of life. You can't avoid them. As parents, my husband and I try and set the best example possible whenever we are faced with a challenging situation, and we have had some VERY CHALLENGING situations in our life together. They have just become the realities, of everyday life. Hopefully I don’t come off as a grumpy guss, I really d consider myself a realist. I like to look at the situation as is. If it sucks, it sucks and then you deal with it and move on. My husband takes that as being a pessimist. I would describe him as an optimist, who always tries to be as positive as possible.

I mean it's very easy to run away and escape and blame and not deal with the situation at hand. But that really doesn't get you anywhere. Most problems and challenges if left or ignored don't go away, sometimes they just get worse. I’ve heard many times, that if everyone were to put their problems into a pile with everyone else’s problem, they would quickly rush to retrieve their own problems back.

So the reality is, “It’s okay sweetie, I know your homework is quite challenging, let’s just go through and do what we can and then we’ll try our best to go back and tackle the harder questions later. As long as you try your best, no one can ask you for anything more than that.”

I mean really.

Step 56, Sarah.

mumturnedmom


10 comments:

  1. "I’ve heard many times, that if everyone were to put their problems into a pile with everyone else’s problem, they would quickly rush to retrieve their own problems back."
    I like this...
    I think it's true that there is always somebody worse off than ourselves. Good post. #ThePrompt X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, my thoughts exactly! :)

      Delete
  2. I've got all that homework malarky to go through with my kids when they're older and I'm dreading it! I'm sure we will all fall a bit short at times. I don't think it sounds like you're a pessimist - more of a realist which isn't a bad thing - sometimes as you say, being a dreamer gets you nowhere. I always have to remind myself that my problems are totally 'first world' and there is always someone worse off and to look at the positives and give thanks for those and just get on with the rest as you do! X #theprompt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for commenting, yes dread the homework it sucks haha sometimes. but yes, we just have to get on with it! :)

      Delete
  3. "Sometimes you are called to do things you don't even know how to do them. But that's where the lessons lie." This is so true. Challenges, mistakes, reality--whatever you want to call them are not meant to break you down and pummel you into nothing. It's meant as a lesson, a stepping stone to show you what's next. So you're right: there's no sense in avoiding the challenges, or hiding them. They're their for a reason. And what you do with them is a choice you have to make. Thank you for such thoughtful words :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, I was worried that this post was too much of a ramble and had no focus or valid points to it, so thank you for such kind words :) yes, this is a message that I am trying to pass on to my children who don't always respond to challenges well. ahhh its all a worth while struggle.

      Delete
  4. It's interesting that your husband is an optimist and thinks of you as a pessimist. I think you're a realist, that's different, and I have the same conversations with my husband who is the eternal optimist, while I am ever the realist. But maybe we all need that counterpoint to our own natural tendencies? I think your dad is absolutely right, sometimes we just have to get on with things, but a lesson my husband has taught me is how much of a difference the frame of mind you approach the task in makes. Life is full of lessons, isn't it! Great post, thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it so interesting how partnerships need that difference/balance? It is all in the frame of mind and life is just one big fat learning curve, it's always my pleasure to join in Sara! Have a great week x

      Delete
  5. This has to be the best purposeful ramble I've read for ages :-) ...Please accept that ONLY as a compliment!
    Pessimist, optimist, realist ...I've often found myself wondering about the term 'realist'. Surely our understanding of the present is as shaped by our tendencies towards pessimism or optimism as our predictions of the future would be.
    It makes me giggle that both outlooks are as unfounded (in a sense) as each other. Since neither is truly 'right' or 'wrong'; both just the shade of the glasses we look through :-)

    ...I'm more the optimist ...I wonder how that has shaped even this little ramble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purposeful ramble, I love that! haha

      would it be safe to say as a realist, I am not wearing sunglasses? hehe such a great way to illustrate different outlooks on the same situation.

      Good on you for being an optimist, your positivity will serve those around you well, thanks for the the great feedback Steph x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...