Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Are you always multitasking?

How many balls are you juggling at this moment?

How many trains of thought are you on?

I've noticed lately that I have been rather frazzled and scatter brained. I just find it hard to focus. Hard to remember things. Hard to stay on track. It's safe to say I'm juggling a lot of balls.

I like to think I'm efficient. I have to be. I have to get a lot done in a small amount of time and with finite resources (namely with my 2 hands).



You aren't actually multitasking if you think about it. I mean unless you are physically in two places at once doing two different tasks, you're basically just switching tasks. You are also not really focused on each task. I mean I realise my frazzled state of mind is because my mind is just trying to take on too much at once.

I've also noticed I don't actually get MORE done. Theoretically I thought I would but I don't. Because I am so busy jumping from task to task I basically finish all the tasks at the same time it would have taken me if I just paced myself and focused on each task individually.

Multitasking or "task switching" is tiring. It's stressful. It takes a toll on you mentally and physically. It takes you away from everything around you because you are so "focused" on what you are doing. Lots of accidents have happened around the house because I am rushing to get the third load of washing into the machine, whilst making sure dinner doesn't burn on the stove and the kids are on task doing their homework,with the little one normally crying for attention the whole time. See. That's just not a pretty picture is it.

I mean I draw the line at talking on the phone and driving, that freaks me out and I just let the phone ring out while I'm driving. I also ban technology at the dinner table which means TV off and phones and Ipads away. But I know I still have a long way to go.

It really is about actively removing distractions and making the decision to tune out whatever isn’t relevant at this moment in time. When you have a young child this is easier said than done, because they demand a lot of your attention. It’s all training and practice.
I think allowing yourself a few minutes of time out (the good kind, not the disciplinary kind) works wonders! Okay so I don’t get this time out till quite late at night when the kids are in bed and the house is ready for the day to come, but I try and make sure I get these precious moments. I deserve them. You deserve them. You work hard.

Let’s make a pact. Say NO to multitasking and yes to a more focused life.

Mummascribbles
Step 79,


11 comments:

  1. I find having a list of things to work through keeps me focused - especially if I divide it up into 'essential', 'desirable' and 'if time allows'. I try not to do too many things at once - as you say, it just makes you distracted and you end up feeling frazzled. Having a few minutes time out can make a huge difference with helping you refocus. #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh yes dividing up the list into what really needs to get done and what can slide, brilliant! Thanks for commenting Louise :)

      Delete
  2. I'm like Louise I work a lot better if I have a to do list and do each one by one! Its hard at the moment with enforced resting though #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! You're on the home stretch so your to do list should just be to rest. Hopefully the home stretch is as kind to you as possible x

      Delete
  3. I must confess I'm terrible at focusing on one thing at a time. While I'm typing this I'm making coffee, helping with homework, making lunch etc. This is something that I really need to to work on. Sigh. Great reminder though. #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes that sounds like me far too often. I just end up running in circles like a headless chicken!

      Delete
  4. If I'm relaxing I'll often multitask - watching TV while doing admin online or flicking through social media, that sort of thing. But when I'm doing 'tasks' I do try to do them one at a time - by focussing and blitzing through them sequentially I find I work much faster than trying to juggle. My wife claims she's an efficient multitasker but even she now admits that when I'm focussed (whcih doesn't happen often!) she's constantly amazed at how much I can get done in a short space of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. case sold! FOCUS is the new flavour of the month. I can't help but think of what else I could be doing at this exact moment though. Old habits die the hardest!!

      Delete
  5. I always feel like I have a million things to do! When I'm at work there's emails, tasks, people, tea to be made, when I'm at home there's Zach, washing, cooking, when I'm driving there's traffic, stupid drivers, Zach! It's no winder I always feel like my mind is on the go! I think I need to make time to take a vath - I truly feel that may be the only place I can switch off (unless of course there's a toddler on the other side of the door asking to come in!). Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes if i shower while my toddler is awake, even if everyone else is home, I will shower to the soundtrack of "Mum, mummy, mama, mum, mummy, mummy, ma, mama!" on repeat. oh don't get me started on stupid drivers!! my pleasure lisa! x

      Delete
  6. I agree, we need to slow down! Ironically we did a similar post today, about taking time to enjoy your picnic! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...