Monday, 28 March 2016

Why I'm getting rid of my favourite things

Yes, that's right. I'm giving away things that I love.



The Time Traveler's Wife is my favourite book, ever. I replay the story line over and over in my head and it never bores me. The underlying messages I got from this book are to love your loved ones right now and that even time can't get in the way of a love that is meant to be. I cherish this story.

In saying that, this physical book is not the story that means so much to me. It is just the physical manifestation of a story that I devoured in less than 48 hours. I know for some that is a slow read but for a mother with young children, that is a big accomplishment. 

How many times have I read this book? Once.

Which made me realise I'm never going to read this book again, I already love it enough. I want to share my love for this story with others. I want someone else to enjoy the story as much as I did. Then I want that person to share the story with others as well. 




Giving the book away doesn't mean I no longer love the story. I know I will continue to replay the story in my mind and bask in the moments of joy and mourn the disappointments long after this book is no longer in my possession. 

I had to develop an understanding that our possessions are not where sentiments and memories lie. The memories that matter the most are filed away in that side of the brain, where seeing a life time friend who you haven't seen in years brings back all the funny and meaningful  times you spent together. Where smelling a certain cologne reminds you of that period where you were falling head over heels in love with your soul mate. Where hearing a song on the radio reminds you of all the fun and mischief you got up to with your friends in those carefree teen years.

Don't worry I'm not getting rid of EVERYTHING and I don't suggest you do either, unless you really want to. In that case, do you boo! I'm just keeping the stuff that actually, really, really, matters. Not the "just in case" stuff. Not the "that cost so much" stuff. Not even the "that was a gift" items.

As hard as getting rid of your favourite, sentimental items sounds, with each sentimental item I think I hold dear, I realise I really hold the memory associated with the item more dearly. 

I can't take credit for this "radical" idea of getting rid of sentimental items, The Minimalists have a great post on this exact idea. Like that post suggests, I'm taking baby steps and I'm getting rid of a few things each week. Have a think about the last time you opened that box of sentimental items and really appreciated what was in there. Just take a moment, that's all I can ask for.

Step 98,

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I would like to open cosmetology salon. Do you have an experience in this business? There are too many options in beauty salon equipment. Could you give me an advise? What companies are more reliable to buy 1Mhz ultrasound and Ipl rf beauty equipment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some really interesting blog posts on here! Glad I found it! I’m following you…Check out my blog if you get a chance! For more information legal herbal empire for sale

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you’re going to strap on the same fake watchesevery day, it needs to look good with both your Tuesday suit and your Sunday t-shirt, but you don’t want it to be boring. You don’t have to spend five figures to get a great breitling replica.Theklockor kopior Globemaster ($120) handles all situations effortlessly and is packed with technology like a totally anti-magnetic movement and a more accurate and durable co-axial escapement,you’ll notice the seconds hand seems to tick like on a quartz
    rolex replica, but this rolex replicais because of a special gear-and-spring system inside that gives it the so-called “deadbeat seconds” for more precise timekeeping.As the brand’s iconic omega repliqueindividual product, admirable adroitness and absolute kelly 35cm demonstrates what both central and outside.
    Buy Cheap air max
    online.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...